Sunday 14 October 2012

Bibliophilia (totally as risqué as it sounds)


I come from a long line of hoarders and bibliophiles. Well, at least four that I know, going back to my great-grandmother, Oma Ans, one of whose books is currently in my suitcase.

A love of collecting things and a love of books is a poor combination, particularly when it runs through all three generations of women attempted to downsize a book collection.  I know this because over the summer we spent the best part of a week, trying to decide what to do with my Grandmother’s personal library, since she’s moving into a much smaller place. This has been moderately successful, although personally I’ve stolen a large collection of assorted books, and there are piles that are to be given to so and so, who has an interest in photography, and another friend who once wrote a dissertation on luxury fashion brands.

It’s actually kind of sad to be throwing away these books, when I say throwing away, I think actually a book collector is coming to look at which ones are valuable and can be sold and then the rest are being given to charity or whatever. All the books have either my great-grandmother, my grandmother or my grandfather’s name in, the person who gave it to them and when, and then some of them say things like “Summer holiday in Crete, 1973” or whatever in them. It’s weirdly interesting to see.

My dorkishness never ceases to amaze me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment